Mud Area Before and… after, but still in process
A few days ago I started looking around my rather chaotic house and began attacking the more problematic areas with some plans in hopes that I may have a highly functional and orderly home. I become useless when there’s clutter, and after getting rid of so many things that we no longer had a use for, I realized something- I don’t have any place to put things. Our old house had a lot of built-in storage, so I never gave it much thought. Now, however, it’s all about creative storage plans.
The first eye-sore was the “mud area”. I’d call it a room, but the room in which it resides is so many things that it’s more like a zone than anything else. This is what it looked like before.
So I worked on a few things. I had to have somewhere to hang a couple of coats, purses, shoes and little items that tend to get lost if they’re not in something, but that need to be easily accessible on our way out the door. So I went to work, and this is what I came up with for the time being. It is by no means finished, but it’s working a LOT better than it was before.
Much better, yeah?
I had to shop the house a bit to not break the bank with a bigger project than I was anticipating, so I found a shelf that was originally only used for decoration. I also had a couple of hooks that I never ended up installing in our old house, so my problem of outside gear getting dumped on a bench was getting solved.
Thankfully, I was able to score a 50% off deal at JoAnn Fabrics on some small baskets (because baskets are always priced as if they’re made of gold bars for some reason) that fit perfectly on my shelf to house my camera, map, extra little toys for church, sunglasses, and a couple of other little things. THEN, after scouring the cheap-o dollar section of Target, I found the two green buckets for $3 each that I could put wet kid boots/shoes in when the Littles come in from the great outdoors.
For now the plan is to get a good long mat to put under the whole deal to reduce the amount of melted snow that gets tracked through the house. In addition, I may have to add an “outgoing mail” box of some sort, and then see what I can do about the wall color. For now, though, it’s gradually becoming more easy to keep things looking nice.
And that, ladies and gentleman, is project #1. There’s more to come, but it’s all about slow and steady right now.